The San Diego County Bar Association and Association of Corporate Counsel-San Diego Diversity Fellowship Program (Program) was created in response to the low number of diverse attorneys practicing law in San Diego County law firms and corporate legal departments. The Program provides an opportunity for diverse, first year law students to learn and develop skills necessary to be successful in law firm and corporate legal department environments and exposes law firms and corporate legal departments to qualified individuals who might not otherwise be considered. The Program is modeled after similar initiatives in Sacramento, Puget Sound/Seattle, Cleveland, St. Louis, Columbus, Atlanta, and the Bay Area.
The Program takes place during the summer and lasts for 8-10 weeks. The main objectives of the Program are:
- To increase the number of diverse attorneys practicing in San Diego County law firms and corporate legal departments by providing first year law students with an opportunity to develop their skills and make professional contacts through fellowship opportunities at law firms and corporate legal departments;
- To assist San Diego County law firms and corporate legal departments in their efforts to recruit competent diverse attorneys by introducing them to qualified, diverse law students who may not have been identified by the firm or legal department through traditional summer programs. In addition, employment of these students provides a diversity of ideas which enhance the quality of legal services that participating employers may provide their clients.
If you are interested in getting more information about the Program, please read the
SDCBA & ACC-SD Diversity Fellowship Program Document.
If you are from a law firm or corporate legal department and are interested in participating in the Program during the summer, please sign the SDCBA & ACC-SD Diversity Fellowship Program Agreement. For answers to frequently asked questions about participating as an employer, click here. Please send the signed agreement to: San Diego County Bar Association, ATTN: Diversity Fellowship Program, 401 West A Street, Ste. 1100, San Diego, CA 92101-4309.
If you are a law student and are interested in applying for the Program, complete the following steps to submit your application:
1. Click here to review the application process and requirements.
2. Compile documents required.
3. Complete the online SDCBA & ACC-SD Diversity Fellowship Program Application. Click here to complete the application.
If you have any questions, please contact Loren Freestone at email@example.com or Kassandra Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily Journal, click here.
The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, Letter from Shaka Johnson.