- Who can join the SDCBA?
The SDCBA’s membership is comprised of professionals who make up San Diego’s legal community, from government attorneys to solo practitioners to large firm partners to law students. SDCBA members cover the full spectrum of practice areas, from family law and estate planning to entertainment and sports law. Paralegals, law school faculty, inactive attorneys and attorneys licensed to practice in other states also make up an extremely valuable portion of our membership, as associate members of San Diego's diverse legal community.
Not an attorney or a part of the legal community? Consider joining as a vendor member of the Bar.
Find a full list of membership categories and rates here. No matter what category you fall under, you belong at the SDCBA.
- Why should I become an SDCBA member?
One of the biggest benefits that your membership affords you is exclusive access to the SDCBA’s award-winning Bar Center at 401. At the Bar Center at 401, you can take advantage of:
- Free access to fully equipped conference and meeting spaces
- A member lounge where you can take breaks between court appearances or meetings downtown
- Collaborative work space
- Free Wi-Fi, copying and printing
- Complimentary mail service
- Lifestyle programs, including Weight Watchers, the Bar Book Club and Ted Talks & Brews
- Complimentary drinks and healthy snacks
- And more!
In the legal profession, it is essential to be a part of an association that supports you. The SDCBA supports its members in many ways, but some of the most valuable include the following:
- Abundant networking opportunities at mixers, SDCBA programs and annual signature events
- Free access to practice related sections and committees complete with online communities, shared resources and robust listserves
- Hundreds of high quality and timely educational programs available onsite at the Bar Center or other locations, remotely via live webcast, and online through self-paced study and other web-based programs
- Leadership opportunities, including the chance to serve on the executive committee of an SDCBA section or committee or to plan and produce a section educational program
- An abundance of community service, pro bono and volunteer opportunities to give back to the community
- Exclusive free programs on practice development and management
- A wide variety of member-exclusive discounts on products and services designed to aid you in your practice
Whether you are a solo practitioner, practice in a large or small firm, or practice with a government agency or in-house at a corporation, you belong at the SDCBA.
- What else does my membership include?
Take advantage of all that your SDCBA membership has to offer in the following areas:
As an additional benefit of joining the SDCBA, members have free access to all of the Bar’s award-winning publications, including:
Career Development & Mentorship
The SDCBA, in partnership with the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association, is launching a Career Development Program. As an SDCBA member, you will have access to this innovative course for new and experienced lawyers to engage with each other and the Bar in a way that will enrich the careers of all involved. Learn more here.
The SDCBA has a continued commitment to foster an ethical legal community. Members have exclusive access to the SDCBA’s Legal Ethics Hotline, a service staffed by volunteers from the SDCBA’s Legal Ethics Committee. The SDCBA also commits regular space in its publications to share frequent and of the moment ethical updates that are of interest to practicing members. Learn more about all of the SDCBA’s legal ethics initiatives here.
The SDCBA is dedicated to improving diversity and inclusion in San Diego’s legal community. SDCBA Diversity initiatives and programs include:
Learn more about these initiatives here.
- How can I get involved? What is the time commitment?
From free participation in practice specific sections and committees, to networking events and volunteer activities, there are countless ways to get the most out of your membership. If you’re looking to take your membership to the next level, consider serving on a section or committee’s executive committee or volunteer to produce an education program. Contact current section and committee leaders for more information.
The time that you spend dedicated to SDCBA activities is entirely dependent on your needs, schedule and the experience that you are seeking. Learn more here!
- Are there ways for new attorneys to get involved?
Definitely! The SDCBA serves new attorneys best when they are exposed to the full breadth of what the Association offers in terms of resources, mentorship and guidance, specialized programming and leadership and volunteer opportunities. New attorneys have the ability to maximize their integration into the SDCBA and the greater San Diego legal community through two paths:
- They can choose to opt in to the newly established Forum for Emerging Lawyers (Forum), an optional membership division specifically designed for attorneys in their first four full years of practice. Learn more about the Forum here.
- Additionally/alternatively, new lawyers can participate in any number of the SDCBA’s practice based sections or project based committees at no charge. Find a full list of sections and committees here.
Click here to learn more about how new attorneys can get involved.
- Are there opportunities for community service?
The SDCBA encourages every member to volunteer their time either in pro bono legal services or general community volunteer opportunities. One of the aspirational goals of the SDCBA’s 2009 Lawyer’s Giving Back Campaign was for lawyers to try to dedicate at least 50 hours a year to community service – a goal we hope members continue to try to attain. Some ways that you can get involved include:
Click here for further information about these and more ongoing volunteer opportunities through the SDCBA.
- Can I use the SDCBA as a way to find new clients or leads?
Each year, the SDCBA’s Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) counselors field more than 50,000 calls from the public, resulting in quality referrals to SDCBA attorney members who serve on the LRIS panel. LRIS is the largest and most active service of its kind in San Diego County, and for a one-time $50 application fee and an annual $125 registration, attorney members can apply to become a part of this valuable program. Visit the LRIS pagefor more information or to apply.
Looking to connect with thousands of professionals in San Diego’s legal community and beyond? SDCBA members receive exclusive discounts on advertising space in Bar publications. Delivered directly to members' inboxes and mailboxes, the SDCBA's electronic and hard copy publications allow a unique opportunity to get messages to members directly and consistently.
From the SDCBA’s annual Golf Tournament to the Bench-Bar Luncheon, CLEs and networking events there are a myriad of options to market and network through event sponsorships. Download the Sponsorship Menu here.
Build lasting professional relationships and find new clients by making contacts at our signature and networking events. Click here to learn more about what's coming up on the SDCBA calendar. Many SDCBA members use the Bar Center at 401 member lounge, as well as work and meeting space as a place to break between depositions and meet with clients or colleagues. As a result, this member-only space is a prime location to make useful and lasting connections. Click here for more information the Bar Center at 401.
- How do I join the SDCBA?
Membership applications can be completed online here. Contact the SDCBA Member Services Department at (619) 231-0781 ext. 3505 if you need assistance or have any questions.
- How much are dues?
- Membership dues for attorneys with active licenses in any US jurisdiction are based on first year of licensure, with additional membership classifications and rates available for others in the legal community, law school faculty, students and more. Law students currently enrolled in ABA or CALS Approved JD programs have access to free membership.